Welcome to the Copper Country Intermediate
School District


      Staff Tools:
      -- Web Mail & Staff Calendars
      -- Power School--Teachers

      -- Power School--Parents 
-- General Business Forms
 & Documents

      -- Employee Web Portal
      -- Wisdomwhere

      -- SafeSchools Trainings

Employment: Substitute Teachers

Effective January 2017, the Copper Country Intermediate School District, in consortium with a majority of its constituent local school districts, has contracted with Professional Educational Services Group (PESG) to provide substitute teacher services. The Public Schools of Calumet, Laurium and Keweenaw (CLK) will be providing substitutes through another company, Good Marks for Schools (GMS).

Qualifications are a valid Michigan teaching certificate or minimum of 90 semester credit hours from an accredited two or four year college or university (2.0 grade point or higher), and be able to pass a criminal history background check and employment unprofessional conduct background check. 

Before starting the application process, you should review the Frequently Asked Questions for more complete details concerning qualifications, background checks, reporting of future offenses, and permits. 


1)     GET FINGERPRINTED: Download and print the LiveScan Fingerprint Request Form, complete the applicant section and bring it to the Baraga, Houghton or Keweenaw County Sheriff's office. Once you have been fingerprinted, the results will be sent to the CCISD. You are required to return the LiveScan form to Peggy Myllyoja at the CCISD, as it provides your consent for the school district to use your fingerprint results. The form may be mailed, faxed to (906)487-5915 or emailed to peggym@copperisd.org. If you cannot print the form, you can pick it up at the CCISD or have it mailed to you. Applicants are responsible for the cost of fingerprinting.

If you have already been fingerprinted for employment at another Michigan K-12 school system on or after January 1, 2006, and there hasn't been a lapse of service of 12 months or longer, you can print and sign a Permission to Share Form, and the ISD will request your print results from your previous school. If the previous school does not have your fingerprint report or has implemented a policy of not releasing this information, you will have to get re-fingerprinted.


2)     SIGN UP ONLINE: Go to PESG's website at http://www.mypesg.com, follow the application instructions and complete their required online trainings. If you encounter problems or have questions contact PESG at 866-782-7277. 


3)     ATTEND A PESG ENROLLMENT MEETING: PESG staff will visit the CCISD once per month to enroll employees. You can select your 15-minute appointment time during the sign-up process. Be sure to bring any documentation requested (i.e., certificate, transcripts, I-9 form and IDs). 


4)     PAY YOUR PERMIT BILL (IF APPLICABLE): PESG will apply for permits for non-certified subs, including those with expired Michigan certificates. Permit bills are emailed directly to applicants from the State and the $45 fee must be paid by the applicant prior to inclusion on the active sub teacher list. 


MPSERS RETIREES: Retired school employees who are collecting a pension from the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System (MPSERS) should not sign up for subbing through PESG, and are paid via local district payroll. Those who have unexpired Michigan teaching certificates can sub on a day-to-day basis by contacting the schools at which they want to work. Those who do not have teaching certificates or have expired certificates will need an annual sub permit in order to serve in this capacity. Please contact your local school district or Peggy at the CCISD to request a permit, as the school could be penalized if you work without this coverage.

CLK ONLY SUBS: If you would like to apply to substitute teach for the CLK Schools, please contact their Superintendent's office at (906)337-0311, ext. 1217, or visit them at 57070 Mine Street in Calumet. (If you want to apply for other schools outside the CLK district, be sure to follow the PESG application process.)